Where can I find additional help?

We outline the organisations you can approach for additional help with your energy and water bills.

Please find below organisations that may be able to help you.

Your Energy Supplier

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills, then you should first contact your energy supplier as they have a range of possible options which may be able to help you. More information on the type of help offered by energy suppliers is available here – Getting help if you can’t afford your energy bills

Your Local Authority

Your local authority may be able to support with you directly or point you towards local services in your area who can help you.

If you are not sure who your local authority is you can type in your postcode to find out at https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

If you are struggling to pay your bills, then the organisations below might be able to help.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice Consumer Advice Line0808 223 1133. You can call the Citizens Advice consumer line for help and support with debt, income maximisation or about your energy bills or visit their website at www.citizensadvice.org.uk

Benefits Advice

You can complete an online benefit check yourself using a trusted independent benefits calculator. Benefit calculators can help you work out:

  • what benefits you might be entitled to; and
  • how to claim

Independent calculators are available through the following organisations: 



Age UK

Help with Debts

If you are struggling with debt, it can be difficult to know where to get help that you can trust. 

The following organisations all offer free and impartial debt advice and budgeting support.

Step Change

Pay Plan

National Debtline


Help with Food 

To find your nearest food bank visit www.trusselltrust.org.uk/get-help/find-a-foodbank – you will usually need to obtain a food voucher from a local agency or alternatively contact the free helpline on 0808 208 2138 to speak with a trained Citizens Advice adviser.  

You can also visit the following websites for advice and information on saving money on your energy bills

Energy Saving Trust is an independent organisation and trusted voice on energy efficiency solutions. Visit their website for tips on ways to save energy in your home. 

Centre for Sustainable Energy are an independent national charity that shares knowledge and experience to help people change the way they think and act on energy.

National Energy Action are the national fuel poverty charity, working to ensure that everyone in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is warm and safe at home.

Other Contacts – Gas Leaks & Power Cuts

Gas leaks

If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak call the National Gas Emergency Service 24 hours a day on 0800 111 999.

There is also help for people with hearing and speech difficulties communicate with anyone over the phone, using the national relay service. For more information please visit Relay UK

Power cuts

If you have a power cut call the national power cut line on 105.